How do you like your rice? I like my rice WILD! Wild with lots of fresh herbs and mushrooms. Lots of fresh ingredients.
My sister-in-law made the best wild rice when we gathered together at my outlaws during the holidays many moons ago. It was wonderful. Fragrant. Lots of texture. Earthy. Wholesome. It was beautiful and emanated all of the whole and wild within her. Because I can’t just teleport her here, I thought I’d make some wild rice in her honor. A little bit of wild. A little bit of home.
Isn’t it beautiful! Can you smell it?
Dark, wild rice grains. Fresh, green herbs. Mushrooms. Pieces of squash. Any kind will do. Like pumpkin? Throw it in. Like Butternut squash? Put that in. This time, I made it with Delicata squash.
This is a link to the broth I use: Imagine Broth No Chicken Organic 32.0 OZ
This is a link to the bouillon I use: Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes, 2.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
It was delicious. It reheats pretty well, too. We really enjoyed it. I hope you do, too.
Thank you for visiting,
- 3 C. wild rice
- 3 C. No Chicken Broth (or vegetable broth or chicken broth)
- 2 cubes Not-Chick'n bouillon cubes
- 2 C. water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 8 oz. package of mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas.)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh marjoram
- 1/2 c. fresh Italian parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the wild rice. Put the wild rice into a pot. Add the broth, bouillon cubes, and water. Cover the pot. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. While the rice is cooking, prep the remaining ingredients. In a large pot, sauté the diced onion in the butter, or olive oil, until the onion is slightly transparent. Add the celery and garlic. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until golden brown. Add half of the sage and marjoram and stir well. Set the mixture aside until the wild rice is done. I used Delicata squash this time. I placed two, 1-inch slices on one side of the squash and placed it on a plate. I microwaved it for 5 minutes. When it's done, carefully peel and dice. Add to the sautéed mixture. When the wild rice is done, add it to the mixture and stir well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve & enjoy!
- You can experiment with the type of squash you use. Pumpkin, Butternut, and Delicata all work well.
- Wild rice reheats well in the microwave.